I cover youth, education, migration and social enterprise/action, particularly in developing and emerging countries. I’m most motivated by understanding how inequality around the world affects (young) people’s opportunities in life — and importantly, what’s being done about this.
Some of my recent stories:
- Between opportunity and frustration – Vice
- Is Uganda the best place to be a refugee? – The Guardian
- A tentative “youth spring” in the development sector – Devex
- Calais – a humanitarian no-man’s land? (video) – Devex
- Uganda is a land of entrepreneurs, but how many startups thrive? – The Guardian
- Global focus east Africa: Uganda – Pioneers Post
- Five tips for social enterprises looking to scale – Devex Impact
‘Unladylike’ – documentary film
In 2015 I finished my first documentary film, Unladylike, about women’s boxing (38min, co-producer/-director/-editor and camera credits). More info here.
“A fantastic film which perfectly captures the fight for women’s boxing. Your efforts to tell our story is exactly what we need to change perceptions… thank you for inspiring me to re-join the fight.” – Lucy O’Connor, former international boxer & Team GB captain
Photos: Busembatia, Uganda, 2015 (©Anna Patton)